Fathers DayJune 20, 2021
Update on US CitizenshipJuly 2, 2021
SA Chamber USA update of President Cyril Ramaphosa ‘s address on 27 June 2021. South Africa is moving into adjusted level 4. President Ramaphosa’s message was summarised by The Caxton media group.
President started with the words of Madiba: I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.
- Face a great challenge and another hill to climb.
- He warned 12 days ago about the new wave of infections
- Tonight it became worse. SA is now seeing a massive resurgence of infections.
- Over 2.5million cases so far reported in Africa.
- Physicians in India first detected the Delta variant of the virus. Now you can find this Delta variant in 85 countries in the world. It is in five of our provinces, spreading like wildfire.
- Furthermore, this variant is replacing the Beta variant – it is more transmissible and easier to spread.
- You may certainly get re-infected.
- Prelim data suggests symptoms are not more severe – but infections in children may be higher
- Rapid spread of Delta variant is above all, very serious.
- The rise of the infection rate could lead to more people becoming ill and requiring care.
- 7day average has now overtaken the first wave, and soon it will overtake the second wave.
- Infections in all other provinces are rising rapidly
- The peak of the third wave may last longer the first and second wave.
- “Maybe we are fed up with wearing masks…” But, President Ramaphosa says parties, family gatherings and the complacency with which we have handled it, has come with a high price.
- Health facilities are stretched to the limit.
- ICU beds are in short supply – existing containment measures are not enough to cope with the speed and scale of the infections
- Firstly, break the chain of transmission
- Secondly, we need to flatten the curve
- Thirdly, we are moving the country into adjusted alert level 4
- Lastly, South Africa will implement additional restrictions for 14 days whereafter they will assess again and make their decisions after this period. They will then determine whether these measures should be upheld or adjusted.
- All indoor gatherings prohibited
- Funerals now only 50 people permitted
- No more after tears or vigils
- Public spaces remain open but no gatherings
- Curfew 9pm until 4am. Non-essential services close at 8pm
- Sale of alcohol prohibited. Current restrictions were not enough
- Travel prohibeted in and out of Gauteng province for leisure
- Restaurants and eateries only take away or delivery
- Closure of schools and education institutions: Institution will start to close from Wednesday. All schools to be closed by end of the week.
Most businesses can continue with their operations but need to uphold health protocols. All employers must allow staff to work from home where possible. Govt will do the same.
President has warned against the spread of false information about vaccines.
This is the update of President Cyril Ramaphosa ‘s address on 27 June 2021.
For Regular updates follow SA Chamber USA – https://www.facebook.com/sachamberusa/